Pastor James Coates is Being Persecuted for His Religious Beliefs.

James Coates is likely not being persecuted for your religious beliefs.  Chances are you are in the majority of those right now who do not share certain convictions with him.  He may look more like an irresponsible activist or a mere freedom fighter to some.  But if we know where he is coming from, we will understand why this church does not see itself as fighting for just libertarianism.  We ought to be fair to Pastor Coates’ theological convictions.

I do not know him, but I have listened to some of his preaching.  I am also relatively familiar with his corner of the evangelical world.  Having sat under the same teachers that he has, I have tried to understand and learn where they are coming from.  Though I have differences with them, there are also many things to learn from them.  When we are secure in our convictions, cross-pollination has advantages.  So I think I can grasp where he is coming from to a degree.

In the case of GraceLife in Edmonton, and Grace Community in Los Angeles, there is a deeper theology that is working out in practical ways.   This is a bit simplistic, but these circles are a little more in a "separatist" sector of Christianity than I am.  Most of them draw stark distinctions between church-and-state, at times between body-mind-spirit, and between Old from New Testament.  Knowing their convictions, I am not surprised that they prioritize spiritual health over physical more than others will.  That by, the way, can be a good thing.  They are also loathe to divide a local congregation.  Also a good ideal.  Their theology of the end times may put them at odds with government a little sooner.  They do not like to see even a hint of government influence on their worship.  Finally, most importantly, they have a very high view of preaching.  

When that all comes together, at some point they will necessarily cross lines at different times than some others would.  

I’m confident that Pastor Coates’ actions are rooted in theological convictions.  I could tick off a long list of respected preachers and theologians that hold similar positions going pretty far back in church history.  I know Christians that have been converted under their ministries.  In ordinary times, many of us read their books and listened to their sermons.  Now that the rubber is hitting the road, will we be consistent or abandon them? The reality is, right now, a couple of them happen to have the backbone and gumption to live out their convictions.

If you are going to argue with them, you’ll probably want to be prepared.  They will be able to point you to chapters and verses.  Preaching to all who will come to hear them is a matter of principle.  They will preach or die trying.  A preacher as Word-centered and articulate as brother Coates does not go to jail over mere politics.  He is absolutely convinced he is being persecuted for Biblical convictions.  He is convinced he is doing more good in saving souls from hell, than in what he views as bowing to Caesar.  Though that conviction may fly in the face of the world today, it is real.  I share a few of these convictions, from a bit of different perspective. 

Some people believe that the church of Christ is worth risking your health and even your life for.  Is that really so strange?

I suppose I cannot write this without also bringing in my own slightly different convictions.  I’d give more ground to government then he would on masks, distancing, or gathering sizes.  I believe that there are theological reasons for that on my end, and I will stick with them.  Some of that is rooted in confessionalism, covenant theology, and systematic theology.  Certainly, my position also relates to my view of the end times.  I believe that we are body-and-soul in this life, which has implications.  I could also point to a few verses as well.  

I suspect, however, that these brothers could also give some constructive criticisms of the Dutch Reformed.  They could point out holes at our waterline from a few miles away.  Some ships are sailing in risky directions.  Be careful that you don't catch the wrong currents.  More dangerous threats are on the horizon.  Don’t get used to pointing fingers at imprisoned pastors.  Public health may end up being an excuse for a lot of evil in the future.  

Finally, there is another obvious reason that this is persecution.  Edmonton tolerated protestors last spring.  They even released violent protestors quickly.  A protest of an estimated 15,000 people was allowed.  It is worth noting that it is currently "unconstitutional" in Canada to jail many criminals.  When protestors and Protestants do not get equal treatment under the law, there is a word for that.  Persecution.  Arresting James Coates and imprisoning him is heavy-handed and heart-breaking. This is evil.  

I believe Brother Coates is in many ways headed in the right direction.  He is a little far ahead for me, but I’d rather see a man headed upstream and in jail, than downstream and drowning.  He thinks hell is a bigger threat than COVID.  He fears God more than man. (Luke 12:5) He thinks preaching the gospel to as many people as possible is important.  He is right about some eternal things, wrong in my view about some lesser things.  Would you stand for your convictions?  Is Christ worth it all? (Luke 9:62)  Could you at least remember a gospel preacher of faith and conviction? (Hebrews 13:3)

May the Lord bless and strengthen Pastor Coates, his wife and family, and GraceLife Church in Edmonton.  

“Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” - 1 Timothy 6:12